HomeContact Site map   Google    www    iipm think tank
   
   
Home Scrutiny Publications Under Cover Mus'ings  
 

Home > Scrutiny > Terminally well

  
   
     
   Case Studies  
       
  Marketing    
  Human Resource    
  Information Technology    
  Finance    
  Strategy    
       
 
     
   Industries  
       
  Steel    
  Glass    
  Banking    
  Prophylactic    
  Auto    
  Hospitality    
  Energy    
       
 
     
   Other links  
       
  IIPM    
  Planman Consulting    
  Planman Marcom    
  Planman Technologies    
  Daily Indian Media    
  Planman Financial    
  4P's Business and Marketing    
  Business and Economy    
  The Daily Indian    
  The Sunday Indian    
  Arindam Chaudhuri    
  GIDF    
       
 
  
         
Scrutiny
  
Terminally well
Sigh... I resign with a heavy ‘head’
25/06/2009

Holding the highest office of the State is gradually becoming tougher by the day. While Obama’s swearing in as President of the world’s most advanced democracy and Dr. Manmohan Singh’s second term as the Prime Minister of the world’s largest democracy are some of the big achievements of democratic elections, the same year is also witnessing some of the erstwhile popular heads leaving office due to economic recession.

Facing sustained economic recession and lacking intelligent methods to resolve the situation, March 2009 saw Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek formally resigning, making the dream of a reformed European Union even harder as it is set to take a distinct position in ratifying the Lisbon Treaty. The economic crisis also had Latvian Prime Minister Ivars Godmanis being forced to resign after months of struggle on the Latvian political battleground.

Joining the inglorious recession casualty club is the Belgian Prime Minister Yves Leterme, who along with his government, resigned at the start of this year over a legal banking scandal amidst the breakup of Fortis Bank and its sale to BNP Paribas amidst the severe banking crisis. The recession and related industrial issues has also led to street demonstrations in Iceland forcing the Prime Minister Geir Haarde to reign. Hilariously, not to be left out, the Hungarian prime minister has also threatened to resign (though to his credit, he has not yet forwarded his formal resignation letter).

And on the other front, for a change, the UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown refused to resign despite his party’s shameful defence (or lack of it) of the expenditure bills of many MPs. What is the learning from all these? Jefferson, the author of America’s Declaration of Independence, had famously quoted, “A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% may take away the rights of the other 49%..” Interestingly, there is not even one reference to ‘democracy’ in the said Declaration. Thankfully, there are a million references to democracy in all the reports we presented to you... Democracy lives, like how...

By:- Akram Hoque
Back

  
 
 
       
Home | Scrutiny | Publications | About us | Contact us
Copyright @2010 iipm think tank. All rights reserved.